Recipe for the Month of October:
- 4 slices bacon chopped (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons butter optional1-2 tablespoons butter optional
- 1 medium onion diced fine1 medium onion diced fine
- ½ cup carrot shredded½ cup carrot shredded
- 1 clove garlic minced1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme2 sprigs fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree15 ounces pumpkin puree
- ½ cup heavy cream plus extra for garnish½ cup heavy cream plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped and divided2 tablespoons parsley chopped and divided
- ½ cup croutons optional garnish½ cup croutons optional garnish
- In a skillet, cook bacon until slightly crisp. Remove bacon from skillet but keep the grease. Depending on how much fat renders from the bacon, you may need to add a bit of butter to make 2 tablespoons of fat.
- Add onion to skillet and cook to soften. Once opaque, stir in carrot and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes, then stir in the brown sugar.
- Add the chicken broth, bay leaf, thyme sprigs, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add pumpkin and cream and heat through. Using a hand blender, puree till smooth.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon parsley and pour into soup bowls. Garnish with cream, croutons and crumbled bacon and remaining parsley.